Thursday, May 17, 2012

Quell the Smell

If you know me, you know I love, love love animals; everything from horses to hamsters. If I had my choice I would live in a zoo. (I actually tried one time, and was almost arrested, jk :p) As of right now, I am the proud pet parent of a cat, a rabbit and two adorable rats. I have slowly tried to make my own house a mini-zoo, but alas my fiance caught on and put a stop to that, real quick. The main reason being, taking care of animals can be a lot of work, as I sure any of you reading this know. The biggest concern of most pet owners is the smell  their pets can give their house. When someone walks into your house, you don't want the first thing they think to be, "WHOA, pets live here". Nobody wants that, not you, and not your guest.

There are tons and tons of different cleaning products on the market that claim to quell the pet smell. I think I have tried them all. Bleach used to be my favorite, until I found out, that unless it is rinsed extremely thoroughly, it can arm the animals lungs, not to mention your clothes. Then, there are the products that are supposed to be specifically for pet odor; I have tried about 5 different kinds and have found that they actually can enhance the pet stink, go figure. Now, my go to cleaner is, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. I use it to scrub the litter box, the rabbit and rats' cages, the tub, stove, the floors(tile and hard wood) and just about everything else.  This stuff is great! It is non-toxic, biodegradable and kills pet odor. Also, it can be used on almost any surface, even finished wood. Not only does it erase pet odors, it also cuts greases and soap scum, with ease. Another good thing about it is it is cheap. I paid $10 at B.J's for a gallon of the stuff, plus it came with a full spray bottle to boot. One thing to keep in mind, is you may want to buy an extra spray bottle because it is concentrated. That in itself is another benefit, because one bottle goes a long way. It has a light lime scent and you don't have to worry about feeling like you're being asphyxiated while you clean, as can happen with harsher chemicals such as bleach and ammonia( don't ever use them together, in case you didn't know). 


Oh, and just to let you know I have not been given anything by the makers of Simple Green to write this. They have no Idea that I love their product :)

No comments:

Post a Comment